"Liberation was in the very scale of the city: a goldfish bowl one could never grow to fit."
-Sheridan Hay, The Secret of Lost Things
Endless faces, so many places.
Life as vertical as horizontal
Day or night, always active
I feel alive.
After experiencing and touring a college in Illinois, my parents and I entered the city of Chicago. I love it there. I have been several times in the past, but Saturday was my first time taking a train to the city. Pumpkin Spice Latte in hand, I was about to give my train ticket to the ticket-taker machine. The train station is set up so that there is a place to purchase train tickets, which actually come in the form of a card, and can be used multiple times. Past the purchasing area, there are stations set up where you feed the card to a machine in order to get through to the trains. My dad let the machine take his card first, and then had me take and feed it next. Pumpkin Spice Latte in hand, I put the card in the ticket-taker machine, and was startled so severely by the speed at which the card was sucked in, that my body jolted and I spilt my latte, providing a a good laugh for the workers there, and my family. I was embarrassed.
But oh how I love being surrounded by so many people. I'm intrigued by the fact that each one has a life and a mind as intricate as mine. Each person has worries and problems and relationships and dreams. Each person in their own walk of life walking on the same street. Each person so different from the next, but somehow united in the same city. I can't help but wonder about each person's story, about where they come from. I see men and women and children homeless on street corners, and my hearts aches every time. I just want to pour out love.
The city is a place where my mind is active, always expanding with new experiences and faces.

No comments:
Post a Comment