Thursday, September 5, 2013

Senior Year (CRR)

I can't believe it's already here: Senior year! I remember being in elementary school, or even middle school thinking the Seniors were so much older than I; that they were so mature, so independent, and all well on their way to adult-hood, and having a blast. I remember waiting anxiously for the time where I could finally be in high school, doing the things that the "teenagers" could do. I have a journal entry from when I was either 10 or 11 years old. I had written a list of things I was looking forward to doing. Having boy/girl parties, going to the movies without parents, and driving were amongst my list of activities that I was eager to be privileged to. As the years started passing, I was able to go back to my list in that journal entry and cross off each line. I absolutely love the privileges that accompany getting older, but I'm constantly being reminded of how fast life actually goes by. I've been told multiple times not to rush my youth, that I'll miss it soon enough. And to be frank, I don't miss my childhood years yet. But, I am continuously being reminded of how quickly life goes by, and that kind of makes me nervous. Sometimes I think to myself, "there are not enough hours in a day to get everything done!" I think that same concept applies to life as a whole; there are not enough days, not enough years, to accomplish everything that I would like to.

With that being said, I'm looking forward to making senior year a memorable one, where I'll cherish my sweet time. I have a lot of responsibilities this year which both excite me and make me a tad nervous. This year marks my third year participating in National Honors Society. In addition to the required volunteer hours, (oxymoron, I know) I'll also be serving as the NHS treasurer. I've never been a treasurer before, let alone an officer for any club. I'm afraid of messing up and not knowing what I'm doing. One reason I shy away from leadership roles like this, is that I'm afraid of having others rely on me. I'm afraid of letting people down. Despite my fears, I'm fairly confidant that I will do just fine, and that serving as treasurer will be a great experience for me. Aside from NHS, I also have the same responsibilities as every other senior: completing my senior project, filling out college applications, deciding what I'd like to do with my life after high school... I start feeling stressed out just thinking about these duties and responsibilities, even though they probably won't be too stressful in the moment. 

Finally, I'm excited to experience this year with a great class! Not only have I been blessed with amazing best friends that have been there for me since primary school, but I honestly feel like the class of 2014 is just one big group of friends. I love the school I'm in and the people I've been placed with, which is only going to make graduating that much harder...  

1 comment: